Sunday, May 6, 2007

Moving

Patricia here:
Now is the time for all the posts that didn't get posted while we were without DSL. I've got pictures, oh yes!
Moving. After the hell of packing, the moving went rather smoothly. It helped that there were many people: Mom, Aunt Carol, Kelly, Tim, Jan, Chris, Matt and me. There is a special place in my heart for people who help with moving. We got the truck loaded up in no time at all--though moving is a time when you question why you wanted the 1950's metal and wooden desks. It also unloaded fairly rapidly. Though the passive voice of that sentence doesn't quite do the calorie expenditure of the movers justice. Some images:
Our old apartment, with almost everything packed.
Chris unloading his truck. See those things he is carrying. Those are our shelves. They will show up again under the category of "project"Mom prepping our post-move burrito feed.Tim and Jan Unloading the truck
After unloading stuff, we ate and everyone left. Matt had to study for a final and I started placing things. Here's what it looked like when I started:
That would be our great room taken from extreme angles. One from the door (the left picture) and one from the dining room corner (right picture)
And here is what it looked like 5 hours later.
Then I went to bed and slept the sleep of the dead and woke up and cooked the very first thing on the new stove:
And I got the kitchen in order. That was a little overwhelming. We had a big pantry in the old place which will be shelving in the new place (another project,) but the shelving isn't up yet, so where to put the stuff. It worked out, but for awhile it looked like this:It turned out to be a bad idea to pile all my kitchen items on the counters to try and find a place for everything.
At this point, we are pretty much unpacked, by which I mean switching into project mode. An example. We can't finish unpacking all the kitchen stuff until we have the pantry set up. Which means that we have to 1) paint and reassemble the metal shelf that I bought and 2) build some shelves on one of the walls. So the stuff that should be in the pantry is boxed somewhat neatly in the niche of the dining area (another area that needs shelves.) At the same time, I am much more interested in setting up the garden and so that is taking my spare time right now. I would love to take a bunch of time off of work to do all this, but the downside of working for a school is that the vacations are ample, but come at specific times. So I try and do a little every day. More on that later.
Also, I haven't quite gotten the hang of placing photos in these posts. I'm also unwilling to fiddle right now, so they look a little funny. So sorry.

1 comment:

Shawn S. said...

WOW!!! You did some major work!!! When we moved to Arlington, we were crazy fools and thought that because we had an elevator, we could do it on our own. Yes, I do have little cannons on my spindly arms...but it was not quite enough. So, we were blessed by Troy and his friend wanting to use the service elevator when we awere done, thus helping us out. They would bring things up to our apartment and then take things down from his apartment (both on floor 5). I say, thank goodness for moving helpers.

I love the look of the place!! Patty, your work of unpacking was definitely impressive!!! It is definitely an example of: "How to make a house a home in 5 hours!!!"

Thanks for the pictures!!! -Sara